What do you call classical artwork that was modernised in later times?


I recently saw a YouTube video of a restoration of an old Renaissance painting which was later over painted by a Victorian artist so the facial features were more in keeping with the times. This obviously constitutes desecration and it appears to have happened a lot.

What do you call artwork that has been modified in this way, is there a standard recognised term in the art world?

Also are there other examples apart from paintings where this has occurred? I do recall that some statues covered up the male genitalia with a leaf for example.

I am creating a new website for an art gallery and am looking at storing art related data in the website database. I’m assuming that I need to store the original artwork’s era and the updated era. Is there any other information I need to store?

, , Vinny65 3 weeks 0 Answers 19 views Starting Member 0

About Vinny65Starting Member

Leave an answer